Thanks to Marathon Talk for reminding me about this video – Steve Jones running in a 10,000m race in 1983 in Brussels. In my opinion this one of the most wonderful examples I have ever seen of pure grit, toughness and the refusal to give in. This is the sort of video that anyone can appreciate, but only a runner will understand what it took for Steve Jones to run off the front of the pack for 9,600m and then somehow find the will to run a 28 second last 200m after Gidamis Shahanga (Tan) went past like a train. Marathon Talk are interviewing Steve Jones for their next podcast and I for one cannot wait to hear what he has to say; as if any words could more eloquently capture the essence of courage than that display on the track.
About simonI run marathons. Everything else is a result of that.
Leave a Reply
I am completely dedicated to my running and to trying to find out what I am capable of. These are some of the things I find along the way.
- Run Dabblers: 3:48 is still a great time for Charlie! We are pla...
- Copenhagen marathon 2013: my race review - Simon Freeman: [...] my big target race this spring was the Virgi...
- Bjarne: I\'ve used various Nike Free shoes for indoor and ...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- The long slow run… or is it? August 7, 2011
- Gold medal or Palme d’Or? Why running form is less important than running more. May 25, 2013
- Copenhagen marathon 2013: my race review May 23, 2013
- Why focussing on the marathon might be the wrong thing to do May 17, 2013
Adidas adiZero Alberto Salazar Alfamar Beach and Sport Resort ASICS Ben Moreau competition development featured Florence marathon half marathon injury Iten Kenya London 2012 London Marathon marathon Marathon training Marathon world record mental preparedness Mo Farah new york marathon nick anderson Nike olympic marathon Olympics paula radcliffe PB personal best potential running running shoes running with us Saucony Seb Coe self-confidence Steve Ovett training Training Camp training kit ultra marathons virgin london marathon 2011 virgin london marathon 2012 VLM VLM 2013
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter