The A-Z of running brands

Design by Imeus Design

Last night my wife and I had a little housewarming party. As was to be expected, the majority of guests were runners and at some point the conversation turned to the foibles that runners have. I joked that I store and wear all my running kit in alphabetical order by brand (I don’t, I assure you… although I now wonder whether it might be a good idea perhaps!) and this lead on to a lively conversation with Nick and Phoebe from runningwithus, Tom Craggs from Perfect Fit Training and his girlfriend Wendy and Dionne Allen, where we tried to list find a running brand for every letter of the alphabet. Given the late hour and presence of alcohol we did surprisingly (or should that be worryingly) well:

AAdidas
BBrooks
CColumbia (thanks to Dom for that one on Saturday afternoon)
D – Diadora (I think it was Tom who said that he has been passed by someone wearing Diadora shorts before!)
EEtonic (there were quite a few votes for this brand that may be building a presence in the UK)
FFila (back in the ’80s Fila was quite a significant running brand!)
GGarmin
HHelly Hansen
IIcebreaker (great call from Wendy there – we were stuck on this one for a while and a really nice website in my opinion)
J – Jack Wolfskin (Dionne suggested this, telling me that they have just launched a trail shoe)
K – K-Swiss (suggested by Tom Scott as a replacement for the pathetic Kappa that we came up with last night)
LLa Sportiva
MMizuno
NNike
OOakley
PPearl Izumi
QQuechua
RRon Hill
SSaucony
TTimex
UUnderarmour
VVaseline (no runner is properly dressed without a dab of vaseline!)
WWalsh
XXempo
YYaktrax (rather topical given all the snow at the moment)
ZZoot (thanks to fellow Mornington Chaser Andrea Sanders-Reece for this one)

There are a few gaps and some very questionable brands there, so if you have suggestions for the missing letters or improvements on the suggestions, please let me know!

About simon

I run marathons. Everything else is a result of that.

10 Responses to “The A-Z of running brands”

1. simon February 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm #

Great suggestion from Dom (https://twitter.com/#!/mingmarsheen) who suggested Columbia for C. Done and done.

2. simon February 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm #

A great suggestion for ‘K’ – K-Swiss from Tom Scott. In it goes (sorry Kappa!)

• Nick February 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

C = Clif Bar surely………….

E = Ellesse…..not sure of the spelling? (very much a tennis brand but did venture into the running shoe world briefly). Another 80′s moment from me!!!

A great house warming party Simon and I promise we that we did all chat about other things……really!

3. simon February 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm #

Mark Fleming, Creative Director at Rosie Lee and a RunDemCrew stalwart just came up with Le Cog Sportif for ‘L’ which was the brand that Nick from runningwithus came up with last night. Thanks for reminding me, Mark!

4. simon February 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm #

Andrea Sanders-Reece, a club mate, has just come up with Zoot – great suggestion and that one goes in.

5. Lobster d February 11, 2012 at 8:38 pm #

J for Jack Wolfskin…they have just developed a trail running shoe so a strong contender!! And come on I thought we had agreed that V was for Vans every runner needs a pair in their kit wardrobe;)

Great food and even better company an awesome house warming!!!

Lobster x

6. simon February 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

Dee, great suggestion on Jack Wolfskin – quite a departure for them as a brand I’d say. But for want of another ‘J’, in it goes!

7. Macca February 12, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

e = etonic

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The A-Z of the runner’s health | | Simon FreemanSimon Freeman - March 4, 2012

[...] the great fun I had with the A-Z of running brands – which you can see here – I decided that a good use of a Sunday run with Dionne Allen and her flatmate Lorna, would [...]

2. From Abrahams, Harold to Zatopek, Emil - the A-Z of runners - Simon Freeman - March 25, 2013

[...] of A-Z posts where I have asked you, dear friends, to help me compile the ultimate list of firstly running brands and then runners health. Well now there is a new A-Z for us to work on [...]