I can’t remember who first said to me: Money begets money What I know is that when they said it, there was more than a tinge of bitterness in their voice. And I guess I believe that it is true – if you are lucky enough to start out with a big pile of cash, [...]
Sunday morning: I was just unloading some decking planks from the back of the car, when our neighbour crossed the road to say hello. He was on his way out to get some ingredients for lunch. As a keen gardner himself, the neighbour was interested in what we were doing with the array of potted [...]
This post is about signals. Two signals actually. One is the change of this blog from a personal obsession about running a marathon. The other is about how the endurance sports and lifestyle / fashion worlds are colliding. First: changes to this blog When I started this blog (initially posting anonymously as the Red Squirrel) [...]
If you read my last post, you will know that I have recently been in withdrawl from running – mourning the loss of an addiction that took me from hatred of what I had become to one of the proudest moments in my life. But in the last three years, running has slipped away from [...]
This week the weather has been – as we like to say in the UK – changeable. That means shit in almost every other place on the planet. I guess there is truth in the myth that April brings showers and we have had a shed-load of them this week. But the weather predictors – [...]
Recently I was talking about the words of the Lord’s Prayer – something that I don’t think about all that often, but having sung the words every morning at chapel in school from the age of 11 to 18, I had no problem recalling them. In the prayer there is a line thy will be [...]
Book & talk about ‘Faster: The Obsession, Science and Luck Behind the World’s Fastest Cyclists’ by Michael Hutchinson
Running is such a simple sport. The common wisdom is that all you need is a pair of shoes and enough functional clothing for the weather / legal requirements of the place you are running in. Some even argue that you don’t need shoes. Or clothes. But that is also, perhaps, one of the downsides [...]
- Tom: You could try out a few low-key 10ks over the summ...
- Jonathan: I say go for it! Abingdon? At the end of October...
- Mitchell Hawkins: Hey Simon, Great post. This is the song I\'ve b...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- When road meets trail – the intersections of two running tribes June 1, 2013
- Beget: to cause or bring about. April 15, 2017
- Minimum Complexity = Maximum Results April 14, 2017
- Starting To Click April 9, 2017
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter