My first encounter with the New York marathon was in the period of my life I call ‘before the rebirth’ (I don’t actually call it that, but it sounds dramatic!) which was back when I smoked, did no exercise, drank too much and ate too much. I went to New York with my family for [...]
The Wall Street Journal carried a story today that the three Americans who lined up for the Olympic marathon a couple of weeks ago, will all be racing in the New York City marathon on 4 November. I suppose this is not remarkable news, given that the New York marathon is one of the biggest [...]
The New York marathon is an impossible, or at the very least an improbable race. Here’s why I write that… Crazy place to start a race The race start is on Staten Island, only accessible by ferry or over bridges that close hours before the race starts. That means that most people set their alarm [...]
Ed: in a follow-up to the piece Catherine wrote before heading off to the New York City marathon (which you can read here), she tells us about how the day unfolded and whether she attained her goals. The day of the race I was in the city that never sleeps and as I ventured out [...]
Ed: This piece by Catherine Wilding is the first guest post on this site and I’m really delighted to have her on board. If you’d like to contribute please contact me. I’ve noted that other runners write about pace, split times, race conditions and how their training has been erratic / hardcore / blighted by [...]
- Tom: Hi there, Just to report back - I found a solu...
- Tom: Thanks Ken, yes it is very confusing. I guess I\'m...
- Ken: another great blog Simon. can\'t underestimate the...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- When road meets trail – the intersections of two running tribes June 1, 2013
- Learning lessons and defying critics December 8, 2013
- Chasing the Chasers – why group runs really work for me December 7, 2013
- The ultimate training package for the ultimate London Marathon? November 28, 2013
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter