My first encounter with the New York marathon was in the period of my life I call ‘before the rebirth’ (I don’t actually call it that, but it sounds dramatic!) which was back when I smoked, did no exercise, drank too much and ate too much. I went to New York with my family for [...]
The Wall Street Journal carried a story today that the three Americans who lined up for the Olympic marathon a couple of weeks ago, will all be racing in the New York City marathon on 4 November. I suppose this is not remarkable news, given that the New York marathon is one of the biggest [...]
The New York marathon is an impossible, or at the very least an improbable race. Here’s why I write that… Crazy place to start a race The race start is on Staten Island, only accessible by ferry or over bridges that close hours before the race starts. That means that most people set their alarm [...]
Ed: in a follow-up to the piece Catherine wrote before heading off to the New York City marathon (which you can read here), she tells us about how the day unfolded and whether she attained her goals. The day of the race I was in the city that never sleeps and as I ventured out [...]
Ed: This piece by Catherine Wilding is the first guest post on this site and I’m really delighted to have her on board. If you’d like to contribute please contact me. I’ve noted that other runners write about pace, split times, race conditions and how their training has been erratic / hardcore / blighted by [...]
- Peter Goldring: Hi Simon,I completely agree about pushing your lim...
- simon: Yassen, great news that you are taking on the mara...
- Liam: Simon, couldn\'t agree more! Not just applicable t...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- When road meets trail – the intersections of two running tribes June 1, 2013
- Nike Flyknit Lunar2 review: light, cushioned and bright! March 11, 2014
- You don’t want pain and suffering? Do something else then. March 8, 2014
- Gone to seed or laying fallow? March 1, 2014
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter