For many people in the UK, the 1500m is a race that had its heyday with Coe, Ovett and Cram. After them – after Peter Rono put an end to Great British dominance of this event in the Olympic final in 1988 – the 1500m sort of lost its shine. But I think that this [...]
A two part review of Pat Butcher’s book The Perfect Distance In this review, Michael Shelton took the time to review the book that takes an in-depth look at the rivalry between Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett and ultimately resulted in such spectacular races in the late 1970′s and early 1980′s. Having read the book [...]
Inspiration from ‘The Perfect Distance’ by Pat Butcher I have just finished reading Pat Butcher’s excellent book on the golden era of British middle distance running “The Perfect Distance. Ovett & Coe: the record breaking rivalry” (published by Phoenix and available here). I’ll write a specific review of the book soon, but in the mean [...]
The Olympic Games are coming to London. In just over 300 days. And there is an increasing amount of opinion being spouted about whether London will deliver a great Games, deliver on the medal expectations and deliver on the legacy, the promise of which went some way to winning the opportunity to host the Games [...]
- Liam: Simon, great piece. Firstly I\'d like to say how d...
- simon: I have got one of the Howies \"Work Hard, Run Home...
- matt: I like the Howies \"Work Hard, Run Home\" shirt. N...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- When road meets trail – the intersections of two running tribes June 1, 2013
- Reacting = bad, responding = good says Seth December 16, 2014
- Imagine… passion and profession coming together December 8, 2014
- My problem with the use of the word ‘brutal’. November 18, 2014
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter