For many people in the UK, the 1500m is a race that had its heyday with Coe, Ovett and Cram. After them – after Peter Rono put an end to Great British dominance of this event in the Olympic final in 1988 – the 1500m sort of lost its shine. But I think that this [...]
A two part review of Pat Butcher’s book The Perfect Distance In this review, Michael Shelton took the time to review the book that takes an in-depth look at the rivalry between Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett and ultimately resulted in such spectacular races in the late 1970′s and early 1980′s. Having read the book [...]
Inspiration from ‘The Perfect Distance’ by Pat Butcher I have just finished reading Pat Butcher’s excellent book on the golden era of British middle distance running “The Perfect Distance. Ovett & Coe: the record breaking rivalry” (published by Phoenix and available here). I’ll write a specific review of the book soon, but in the mean [...]
The Olympic Games are coming to London. In just over 300 days. And there is an increasing amount of opinion being spouted about whether London will deliver a great Games, deliver on the medal expectations and deliver on the legacy, the promise of which went some way to winning the opportunity to host the Games [...]
- Liam: Simon, I totally agree on some of these points. I ...
- Ben: Running for a long time has equalled happiness for...
- anotherwisemonkey: Such a brave and important post. Happiness is the ...
- Sports Personality of the Year… if you’re a man. November 29, 2011
- Virgin London Marathon 2014 entry opens… and slams the door on some GFA runners April 29, 2013
- When road meets trail – the intersections of two running tribes June 1, 2013
- Happy? It’s more important than you realise. May 14, 2015
- adidas Ultra Boost review: are they really that good? March 12, 2015
- Book review: The Way Of The Runner by Adharanand Finn March 11, 2015
Meanwhile, on Twitter...
Follow @simon_freeman on Twitter